Now that the Outlook client is deprecated, it is important to be aware of how the automatic tracking options work with the new world of Outlook App + Server-Side Synchronization.
If you have your personal options set to track email messages in response to tracked emails in Dynamics 365, when a user tracks and sends an email to an external contact, when that contact responds to the email, the response email will be automatically tracked.
However, when the user responds to the user’s response, the email will not be automatically tracked with the Outlook app. The user will need to manually track that email for the message to be tracked.
- User sends message to external contact and tracks the message.
- External client responds to tracked message: This message is automatically tracked.
- User responds to client’s message: This message is not automatically tracked.
If it is important to capture all messages in the conversation, The following are your options:
- Only track the last message in the conversation. Do you really need all individual emails, given the last email will contain all of the other messages in the chain? You can use Outlook’s conversation cleanup feature to delete all messages in conversations except for the latest message, then track the remaining message.
- Teach users that the emails that they send will never be automatically tracked, and that if responding to a response to a tracked message, they need to hit the track button to track the message.
- Use folder level tracking, and create folders for important clients (up to 25) and exchange rule to move messages to those folders. This will ensure that all messages in the conversation are automatically tracked. If you want to have your sent items tracked with folder level tracking, see Outlook’s features to save copies of sent messages to other folders.