Recently, I had experienced a significant failure with the Dynamics 365 for Tablets client. It had seemed to present itself out of the blue, without any real reasoning or trigger behind it. As we reviewed the errors presented via developer tools in Chrome while loading the tablet client in a browser, we saw a significant error related to the metadata sync.
We also found when we attempted to Prepare Client Customizations for the solution, we received the following error message:
As it turns out, the mobile client metadata was corrupted due to a null reference issue in a Word template. Document templates are tied to metadata of entities and attributes, which is unfortunately not checked for nor handled via exception by D365 when metadata generation takes place. Once we removed the corrupted template, this resolved the issue.
Moral to the story: When you delete an attribute or entity, verify the commensurate changes are made to any Word or Excel Templates, else Mobile client will fail in a quite spectacular way!
– Your friendly neighborhood CRMHobbit