Tip #775: Change The Default Order of Activities on the Social Pane

If you are like me, you have a love/hate relationship with the Social Pane.  A conceptually cool widget on an entity form, it is where Posts (do you still use these?), Notes, Yammer, OneNote, OneDrive for Business and our focus of this tip…Activities reside.  Why do I hold any disdain for this collection of valuable information?  Because it is for all intents and purposes a black box.  There is VERY little that you can configure on the Social Pane, but in this tip I’ll show what configuration you can actually perform on the social pane…. modifying the default sort and order of the activities on the Social Pane.
By default, the sort and order of Activities on the Social Pane displays by Last Updated.

screenshot

In our scenario, we will modify this sort order to Due Date.  From the Form Editor, click on the Notes Properties control (Activities Tab) and then Change Properties.  Next, click on the Activity Wall tab.  In the data section, you will see two option sets for “Sort the Activity Wall according to” and “Order by”.

Change the value in the option set to Due Date and click Save.

screenshot2

Once this form change is saved and published, you will see the changes reflected in the Social Pane!  Cool, huh?

screenshot3

Here’s a bonus tip: Once your new default sort and order is set you have one additional bit of capability within the Social Pane.  You can filter what is displayed in the pane by either status of all activities (In Progress or Overdue) as well as by activity type!

screenshot4

screenshot-5

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on Google+0

6 thoughts on “Tip #775: Change The Default Order of Activities on the Social Pane

1. Chr. Schulte says:

This only works in CRM Dynamics 365, isn’t it?
    I haven’t found this options in CRM 2016 8.1.x online or onpremise.
    Or have I missed to switch an option?

2. Henning says:

Shawn, thanks for the tip! How CRM orders activities is something that has bugged me and the BD in our organization for a long time now. Could you please clarify where exactly I can find this? I am using “Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online 2016 Update (8.1.0.534) (DB 8.1.0.526)”, and when I open the Notes Properties form, I can see the two tabs “Display” and “Formatting”, but not the “Activity Wall” tab that you are describing. I opened the main forms for both the Account and the Opportunity entities from the custom solution I use to customize the system, and both are the same for me, with the required tab missing.
    Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

3. Johnny B says:

Thanks for the post. We are using CRM 2016 and I don’t see the Activity Wall tab on the propery control. Is it in a later version or is there a way to activate it?

Thanks

4. Rob Boyers says:

Yes, this is Dynamics365 only

5. On-Prem says:

It’s a bit disheartening to see a vast majority of CRM blogs (this one included) only/mostly catering to Dynamics CRM Online users, and not to On-Prem users.

6. Matt B says:

To confirm, this is available Dynamics 365 On-Premise also starting with 8.2.0749