Tip #481: Mobile App Troubleshooting Part 2

Yesterday I posted a tip about Mobile App Troubleshooting regarding duplicate views creating an error message in the mobile app. Today I would like to add to that with an issue that we experienced while doing the original troubleshooting. It is one of the Duh! moments where as soon as you know what to do to fix it, the fix is so obvious you want to slap your forehead.

What we ran into was that certain dashboards weren’t displaying. The name of the dashboard was appearing but there wan’t any visualization on the screen.

What is the Duh! moment? If you have a visualizations that is set to display in the mobile app, then any of the entities that are referenced in the chart must also be pushed to the mobile app. In this case the custom entity for Properties had it’s prescence in the app turned off in CRM. Once we went into CRM customizations, checked the mobile app box and published we were on our way to success. Success was totally realized once we downloaded the updated configuration into the phone.

So the challenge for us was, while we wanted to display the chart in the mobile app, users didn’t really need the property entity on their phones, but there was no getting around it.

Visualization missing the Chart

Visualization missing the Chart

Visualization with Chart after adding required entity

Visualization with Chart after adding required entity

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on Google+0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *